Monday, September 18, 2006

And the learning continues...

Today as I was doing some reading for one of my classes I came across a quote that really struck me. The book is Anthropology for Christian Witness by Charles Kraft. Now, sometimes I am a little bit behind so if you have already thought about this then just excuse me but I thought it was a really good point.

God has buried so much treasure in the Scriptures that we will never find it all until the interperetive perspectives of each of the languages and societies of the world have been applied to them. As we work with different languages and peoples, we find that each perspective asks different questions of the scriptural data. When we can see the questions that African and Asian and Latin American people ask of the Scriptures and see the tremendous comprehensiveness of the revelation, then we can enter into a grander understanding of God then we ever could when we simply asked the questions of that datea that our one cultural perspective brought to our attention.


It is awesome that I actually enjoy everything that I have to read and I can see its relevence to my life and what I have been called to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read a Charles Kraft book once, it had to do with demons.

Marie said...

hmmm...sounds interesting. It might have to go on my To Read list.

Susan said...

That's a pretty neat thought. I like it. I also like your language about "relevance to your life and what you've been called to do." Both are good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Marie. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have never thought of it that way before...Cool. Deep thoughts, by Marie Miller. Well, acutally by the old dude who wrote it, but you get it.