Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ace of Cakes...


Well, maybe not ace of cakes but I'm on my way! Why am I blogging about a cake? Well, I decided I need a hobby other than going to broadway shows because that can get rather expensive. I have always loved watching those food network shows about cake decorating so I thought I would give it a try. After a little investigating I discovered that Michael's offers cake decorating classes. They also offer alot of others as well. If you are looking for an outlet for your creativity(or like me you need to find some creativity)these classes are wonderful. Anyway, today was my first class where I actually got to do something. The finished product is the lovely star cake you see above. I know, I know...its nothing spectacular... but it's a start. This week we just started out on some of the basics like stars, dots, and a couple of borders. Next week we learn flowers! I have to bake a cake and ice it every week before I go to class and make lots of icing. It is a lot of work making the different kinds of icing(stiff, medium, and thin)but its worth it when I actually get a decorated cake out of it! Stay tuned for next week's cake. There are 3 other courses so I could possibly have another 3 months of cakes for you to see!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Excellent work Marie!

Mandy Mc said...

I love it! Keep this up and I'm putting you in charge of the cake for the shower :-)

Melissa said...

Very nice, Marie. I'm not surprised. Do they have any classes on pancakes up there??? ;)

Anonymous said...

i am loving it! i made a cake last week and enjoyed it so much and thought how much fun it would be to take a class...and look you have already done it :)

Marie said...

Let's see how the next couple months of cake classes go before I can think about doing one for an important occasion :) Melissa, I have given up on the idea that i will ever learn how to make pancakes. Luckily, I always seem to have somebody around me who knows how to make them very well. You can make the pancakes and I'll decorate you a cake!

"The Transplanted Yankee" said...

This looks great, Marie! Do you know of anyone having a baby boy? It would be perfect!

Heather said...

Mandy took the words right out of my mouth; I love it! Good job! I think you're gonna be asked to make lots of cakes now.

Meg said...

Marie! We really are the same person - well except the obvious difference -!!! I am registered for cake decorating classes at this local cake art store near my house! We will have to compare notes!