Thursday, July 17, 2008

My first time...


...to make a tiered cake. I wasn't really happy with how it turned out but it had more to do with the icing than it did the stacking of the cakes. I figured that I should practice making a tiered cake before I tried to do one for a real event. Well...the stacking part of it turned out alright. My icing just wasn't quite right. It would have been fine if I was covering them in fondant but my buttercream was just too thin and didn't smooth right. So, here is a picture (for aunt patty). Don't worry, I'm still learning and getting better every time I do it so don't be afraid if I'm doing your cake in the near future. I promise It will look better than this. Oh, and yes, that is a cardboard C on top. Heather and I were playing around with designs for her wedding cake(no, I'm not doing hers)and she decided that it needed a C on top too late to make one out of fondant so she improvised. I think Heather might have a talent for making letters out of cardboard. What do you think?


10 comments:

Leah said...

Marie, I love it! I was expecting a train wreck from how you described it yesterday... I'm impressed! I agree it could be a little cleaner, but I'm impressed, none the less! You know, you can practice another tiered cake around September 8... :)

Criddy said...

Why don't you just start your own business?

Melissa said...

I would definitely be willing to eat a cake that looks just like this on July 31st...seriously, though - this is a very cute design, and you did quite well with what you had to work with. Nice job, friend.

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

WAY better than anything I could do...I'm still impressed!

Heather said...

Fabulous!!

Mama said...

Don't forget all the little people when you're making wedding cakes for all the celebrities! That is a good gig cause for each celebrity client you have your lookin' at at least four weddings. :)

Rita Bird said...

Marie,
I am a fellow baker and I have to admit that I am impressed with your skills. Your fondant bow is fab. If you ever come back to Alabama and want to start a business, let me know- I'm in.

Mama said...

Ehem...4 weeks since your last post...seriously!!!

I know you might be busy living your big NY life up there and all but could you rain a little of your excitement down on us married folks...you know we live vicariously through you people! Jeez.

Sheri said...

Are you ever going to get to blog again? I miss reading about your adventures! and, Yes, I do realize this officially makes me a blog stalker!

the hero formerly known as super said...

great cakes alive! those sure were tasty last night. looked real purdy too!