Friday, February 01, 2008

A taste of The Ivory Coast

Here are just a few pictures from my recent trip to Abidjan, Ivory Coast. I was there for a class on African Theology. It was great to actually learn from an African about African Theology. We also interviewed and visited lots of different churches over the 2 weeks. I loved being there and I was pretty content to stay but it made me miss Senegal. I had my favorite, Fanta Cocktail! But, I was very dissapointed that there was no ataya(or however you spell that). I don't have alot of pictures because I plan on just getting everybody elses. Once I get the rest of the pictures I will put some more on here for your viewing pleasure.

This was the building we stayed in for the 2 weeks that we were there. The accomidations were fabulous. A lot better than I expected. I think the mattress was actually better than the mattress that ATS provided for me.














This is the actual Seminary building. The round part that you see in the middle is where we ate all our meals. I never get tired of eating outside. It was great. The food was wonderful too. There wasn't a meal that I did not like. Our chefs were Raymond and Natalie. They have worked with a lot of missionaries over the years so they know how to cook for our weak American stomachs. I was very thankful for that.




This is a market I stole a picture of while we were in a church across the street. It smelled like fish...can't you just smell it now.



















This is Lindesy and me when the day started. We were on our way to an interview with a church. We were all smiles and excited to see what the day would bring.













About 30 minutes later we were stuck in traffic because they closed a road for the President to come through town. We were rather warm and a little delirious by this time.

















We all got dresses made by the Academic Dean's wife. We were all very pleased with the results! I had not planned on getting a dress made but I am glad that I did. After we had payed for them we found out that the Dean and his wife were trying to figure out how they were going to pay for thier son's tuition for school. It turned out that they made just enough from making our dresses to pay for his tuition.






I drank Fanta Cocktail every chance I got. I even brought two of these bottles home. Sadly, in my jet lagged stupor, I dropped one of them as soon as I got home. They were the only thing I upacked for several days. The bottle that was left lasted for about a week. Of course I had to share it with a couple of people because I think everyone sould experience the yumminess of Fanta Cocktail. By the time we left I had the whole group drinking them. I really don't understand why we don't have this flavor in the U.S. Maybe we should start a pettition.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Marie, I'm so glad you FINALLY posted pictures from your trip! I can't wait to hear more about it and I'm glad you had a safe and interesting trip.

Susan said...

I'll sign your Fanta cocktail petition.

Anonymous said...

Wahoo Africa! =) I'd love sit and listen to all your stories about the trip sometime. Thanks for the blog comment =)
Do you know yet what you'd doing next semester? If so, let me know, if not, join the club :) LOL
I love and pray for you!

Tricia said...

I love Fanta Coctail too. Cal and Pattie hooked us on it! I am enjoying your BLOG.
Tricia Arledge